Sunday, May 26, 2013

A poem to my son, the birthday boy

On May 24, 2006 my son was born. It was along nine months filled with both sadness and happiness. Every time I hear the song "God Gave Me You" by Blake Shelton I think about my journey to becoming a mother. I was twenty three when I gave birth to him, while I grew up with cousins younger than me and had a niece and nephew, I was still scared of how I was going to pull it off.


My Boy

The moment I heard your first cry
Tears filled my eyes
My heart over filled with joy and pride
A handsome baby boy
Both a blessing and gift

I counted your fingers and toes
Made sure you were whole
You slowly became a spinning image of me
Once baby blues turned to brown eye
Your height was a gift from your father

When it came to your firsts
I stood behind you cheering you on
My hands at the ready to catch you
In case you fell

My boy, you are growing up so fast
Pretty soon you wont need me anymore
Until that day comes
I will be at your side
Being the best mother I can be

2013 Jennifer Dante

















No comments:

Post a Comment